Monday, March 23, 2009

Ten Months

Continued from previous...

To me, the arrival of spring meant another. Its arrival meant time. Ten months. I have lived in Vietnam for ten solid months. I couldn’t bring myself to believe how time flew, just before my eyes. It seemed like it was only yesterday that I have arrived at Ho Chi Minh City. I remembered my first day at school. Everything and every person that I could see with my curious eyes were all fascinating to me. Never in my lifetime have I ever seen so many white people. My heart was beating furiously against my ribs, full of nervousness and excitement. That was eight months ago. That was when my feelings were blurred by my visions. Everything was gradually clear now. I wasn’t so excited anymore. Things and people that were charming seemed alarming to me.


I was having lunch with my usual group of friends. They talked while I ate. I didn’t usually talk, I preferred to listen.


“Hey, did you guys see that Jennifer was always in a wanting to puke stage today? Do you know what I think?” Val asked us. In her voice, I could her that she was dying to tell us what she thought, but she also wanted the same level of enthusiasm from us. I kept my head down though, concentrating on my lunch, not giving Val the attention that she wanted.


“What?” mused Kae. Good thing Kae was interested in the subject, or Val would be upset.

No comments:

Post a Comment