Friday, March 6, 2009

Piece of homework

I was already in the sky for five hours. Hope was slipping. Three days. I have not been in contact with my mother and my best friend, ZM for three days. They were supposed to be at the United States by now. But they weren’t. ZM’s family and my family were so worried that we just couldn’t wait for my mother and ZM to come back to us. We had to do something. So, I borrowed ZM’s helicopter and set off to look for them. Luckily ZM had taught me how to fly a helicopter.


Suddenly, I saw an island. As I flew nearer, I saw on the beach, ten black specks and a huge SOS sign. The hope that slipped away came back again. Immediately, I flew down to land on the island. My heart was pounding tremendously against my chest. Will my mother and ZM be among the ten black specs that I saw? What if they weren’t? What should I do then? Finally, I set my trembling left foot out of the helicopter, on the sandy beach. I raised my head and saw ten different pairs of eyes looking at me, blue, brown and black.


I started from the left pair of eyes. I felt my eyes became as round as meat balls when I realized the fictional vampire was standing three meters away from me. Robert Pattinson! I had to tear my eyes from him to look at the person beside him. Then, my eyes were as round as tennis balls. Einstein! I looked at the third person. Finally, a normal person. My eyes shrank to their normal size. From his clothing, I knew that he was a priest. My eyes moved rightwards. Meat balls on my face again. Mr. Scorgie! Beside Mr. Scorgie, stood a boy that was about twelve years old. Another surprise! Barack Obama, the president of United States. To the right of him was a couple that was dressed in branded clothing.


“Wei Syn!” I turned my head to the right and I saw the two people that I wanted to see most at that time. I ran to them and threw myself in their arms. After a moment, I realized that ZM’s shirt was wet on where I had just put my head. I brushed my cheek using the back of my hand. It was wet, too. They were tears of happiness and relief.


The sun had set. I had brought some dry food with me. I shared the food with all of the people. We seat in a circle and talked. I asked them about how they were stranded on the island and what happened to the other passengers on the plane. The story was difficult to listen to. Their pilot had a heart attack and the plane crashed into this island. The plane caught on fire. People were screaming and pushing each other, trying to find their way out from the plane, to survive. In the end, only ten of them survived. During the three days, they ate fruits that were found on the island and waited in vain for a ship or a plane to come by to rescue them. After the talk, I learned that the priest was Mr. Brown, the boy, who was indeed twelve years old, was called Seth, and Mr. and Mrs. Smith were the wealthy couple. That night, I slept on the island with the ten survivors.


Honestly, it was unpleasant night’s sleep. About three in the morning, I was shaken awake. I forced myself to open my heavy eyes, in case something bad had happened. To my surprise, I saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith. I pushed myself up, and asked them if something had happened. Although there was no light that I couldn’t see very clearly, I thought that I saw Mrs. Smith blushed. I could feel heat coming from her.


“I’m so sorry that I have to wake you up at this hour of time. We have to ask you something. I hope that you would forgive us for our impoliteness. As you see, we saw that you came here with a helicopter, so my husband and I were wondering if you were planning to take others back to the United States with you when you leave. We don’t want to stay on this deserted island forever.” said Mrs. Smith.


My mind was blank. I hadn’t thought of that before. I stared at Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Mrs. Smith seemed to be abashed as she looked away from me.


“Well, Mrs. Smith. I can’t bring all ten people with me. I’m sorry. The helicopter only fits six people, so I could only bring five more people with me when I leave. I will think through this tonight. Why don’t you go to sleep? We can talk about this tomorrow. Okay?” I smiled a polite smile at her. She nodded at me and left with her husband.


I could only bring five people. My mother and ZM would definitely be in the list. What about the other three? I thought of Seth. He was just a little boy. He would have a bright future. I thought of Barack Obama. The people of the United States need him. Then, I thought of the other six people, Robert Pattinson, Einstein, Mr. Brown, Mr. Scorgie, Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Who would I bring? The world needs Einstein the most. The decision was made. What about the other five people? I could seek for help when we were back at the United States. I smiled to myself as I was falling asleep. We were going home.


p/s: My homework from Public Speaking class! It's a story, of course. It's not really a good writing, but I quite enjoyed myself while writing it. Tell me what you think about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment