Monday, March 23, 2009

Short Strory

I started to write my short story. I have only wrote 158 words. I'm posting it here, to let you guys read. A few days ago, I started thinking about what to write.

I thought of stuff that I'm more familiar with: friends, jealousy, homesick, and culture stress. I thought of writing a boy's relationship with his younger brother. I think one of my problems may be the names for my characters. I don't want to use English names for my non-English characters.

Now, I decided to write from the first person point of view as I could write more about the narrator's thoughts if I used this perspective. I think mainly of my story would be about friends and culture stress. I might be writing about myself!

So, here is the starting of my essay, I have not edit it, it's just a ROUGH draft.

It was March, which meant spring was here. How was spring supposed to be? As much as I knew, spring should be happy, green and full of flowers. That’s what I only knew about spring. Spring has arrived, but there wasn’t much change in the weather as I wasn’t living in a four seasons’ country. I was living in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, a place that is like summer throughout its three hundred and sixty five days. In fact, before I came to here, I had only lived in my home country, Malaysia. That was why I knew so little about spring, information that I acquired about spring was from images from books or cartoons. The only weather that I had experienced and was truly familiar with was just hot, hot and hot. The weather of spring didn’t mean a lot to me.


To me, the arrival of spring meant another. Its arrival meant time. Ten months.

1 comment: